Understanding Urinary Incontinence, and Risk Factors
There are two main types of Incontinence:
• Stress Incontinence is urinary leaking when coughing, laughing, sneezing, and a handful of other activities.
• Urge Incontinence can be defined as a desire to urinate even when your bladder is not full.
Although avoiding incontinence may not be possible, there are actions you can take to reduce the likelihood of developing this disturbing problem.
1. Weight: There is a high correlation between excess weight and incontinence, , particularly for women. Some research suggests that that excess abdominal fat weakens the muscles of the pelvic floor which can then result in stress incontinence and, in some cases, simply losing weight can reduce incontinence.
2. Smoking/Nicotine: Of the many ways that smoking threatens your health, it also doubles the chances a woman will develop stress incontinence. There has also been research suggesting that Nicotine has been linked to urge incontinence.
3. Keep active: In the Nurses’ Health Study, middle-aged women who were most physically active were least likely to develop incontinence.
4. Minimize bladder irritants: It has been demonstrated in clinical studies that caffeine and alcohol have been linked to urge incontinence. Even carbonated drinks and the sweetener, aspartame (NutraSweet), spicy foods, and citrus fruits and juices cause urge incontinence in some people.
5. Straining during bowel movements: Constipation-related straining can weaken the pelvic floor muscles and if your stools take effort or are frequently hard, talk with your doctor. Research involving subjects 65 and older suggests that treating constipation also improved other urinary symptoms, including frequency and urgency. This is another aspect in which Lifestyle modification can enhance quality of life by changing your diet and increasing your fiber and fluid intake to help prevent constipation.
As you can see, Urinary Incontinence in Men and Women can occur from a wide variety of factors and lifestyle choices. However, there are varying degrees of severity in the symptoms associated with Urinary Incontinence and, therefore, varying ways in which your Quality of Life may be influenced.
As a result, we would ask that you complete a short (4-5 minute) ICIQ-Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Questionnaire to determine the degree to which Urinary Incontinence has impacted your Quality of Life.
Incontinence Questionnaire Females: https://qhcwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ICIQ-FLUTS-UK-English-0804.pdf
Incontinence Questionnaire Males: https://qhcwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ICIQ-MLUTS-0120.pdf
What treatment options are available?
Pelvic floor dysfunction and other symptoms of age, menopause and childbirth can lead to urinary (stress and urge) incontinence, pelvic floor prolapse and an overactive bladder. This has affected hundreds of millions of women worldwide with very few realistic solutions. The latest Clinical Research has indicated that:
- 40% of adult women suffer from some form of urinary incontinence
- Almost 50% of women following childbirth suffer from some degree of pelvic organ prolapse
- 60-80% of women over the age of 50 will experience vaginal atrophy at some point in their lifetime
These staggering statistics have ensured that a large portion of the female population would welcome a safe, reasonable and simple non-surgical alternative. Through a combination of new devices, therapies and procedures, you will finally have the opportunity to gain back your confidence and take steps toward a long-term solution for your incontinence. Women of all ages can benefit from our expertise and non-invasive approach to improve and strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and eliminate these embarrassing and inconvenient medical conditions. Our Incontinence Therapy involves a customized combination of laser, high intensity focused electromagnetic energy and injectable bio-cellular healing growth factor treatments. These treatments are a highly attractive option to women who desire solutions for urinary incontinence and an overactive bladder without the high rate of adverse effects from surgery. There are also other more conservative treatments such as pelvic floor muscle therapies that focus on Kegel exercises. However, these often fail because of patients’ lack of Compliance or even the patient’s lack of strength to compete the exercise in the first place.
Laser Treatments: Age, childbirth and menopause can result in a wide variety of conditions where the pelvic floor support weakens leading to conditions that radically impact your self-esteem, pleasure and confidence. Our treatments incorporate a revolutionary non-surgical laser to treat connective tissue in the vaginal walls. This connective tissue is an important factor in pelvic organ support and as we age and give birth, increased laxity can result in its corresponding dysfunction.
With this cutting-edge laser, we provide several unique new non-invasive non-ablative laser procedures for:
- functional strengthening of connective tissue inside the vaginal wall
- improving the pelvic floor support
- diminishing symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction
- improves urethral support by photothermal strengthening of the vaginal wall
- works on connective tissue in the vaginal mucosa with emphasis on the anterior vaginal wall
This gynecological procedure is based on the evidence that the delivery of a measured sequence of heat pulses applied to the vaginal mucosa will result in strengthening and rejuvenation of the vaginal wall. The benefits to the patient are enormous as has been documented in satisfaction surveys with each of these outpatient procedures taking only up to 30 minutes with little or no downtime or even anesthesia. The treatment works best in mild and moderate stress urinary incontinence patients, with very good results in severe stress urinary incontinence as well. Mixed incontinence patients get relief in stress symptoms.
The BTL EMSELLA Kegel Throne is a unique technology revolutionizing women’s intimate health and wellness by providing those suffering from stress and urge incontinence as well as an overactive bladder with a simple and completely non-invasive option. The BTL EMSELLA uses HIFEM (focused electromagnetic energy) is non-invasive electromagnetic stimulation of pelvic floor musculature for the purpose of rehabilitation of weak pelvic muscles and restoration of neuromuscular control for the treatment of male and female urinary incontinence. The electromagnetic energy technology engages all the muscles of the pelvis at once and essentially forces a Kegel. It’s a great option for women of any age who desire a solution for urinary incontinence and improvement in their quality of life. The treatment is FDA approved in men and women. You may resume daily activities immediately after the treatment. You may observe improvement after a single session.
Features of the BTL EMSELLA include:
- Over a 95% satisfaction rating with the device
- A non-invasive out-patient procedure with no recovery time.
- Remain fully clothed during treatment.
- Focused electromagnetic energy, in-depth penetration, and stimulation of entire pelvic floor area
- Thousands of supramaximal pelvic floor muscle contractions which are extremely important in muscle re-education of incontinent patients
- Not possible for this type of high-repetition-rate pattern as a result of the pelvic floor weakness.
- Restores bladder and pelvic muscle control without time-consuming exercises.
- A comfortable procedure that lets you relax during the 28-minute treatment.
- You may observe improvement after a single session. Results will typically continue improving over the next few weeks.
- The protocol offers results after about six sessions, scheduled twice a week.
- Patients have reported a significant pad reduction. **
- Not for use by patients with hip implants and certain types of IUDs with metal
If you are ready to improve your quality of life and regain your confidence contact us now to schedule a complimentary 15-minute BTL EMSELLA Kegel Throne assessment where we can provide you with your options.
The O-Shot® [Orgasm Shot®]: This is a non-surgical, non-invasive procedure that can help women who suffer from decreased libido, incontinence and a limited ability to orgasm. and substances to enhance healing. This regenerative treatment has seen increasing interest as it uses your body’s own blood-derived bioactive growth factors to heal it through stimulating new blood flow (angiogenesis) and tissue growth. The procedure is accomplished through drawing your blood and spinning it in a centrifuge until a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) solution is obtained. Following local anesthetic, this PRP is then injected back into several areas in and around the vagina (including the clitoris, anterior vaginal wall and labia). The treatment results in tissue, nerve and blood flow rejuvenation to the treated areas with very minimal adverse effects. The procedure is relatively painless and quick; other than spinning the blood it should take less than 15-20 minutes.
The conditions treated using a PRP Injection include:
- Decreased libido (sex drive)
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Dryness (with resulting painful intercourse) from Menopause or from Breast Cancer Treatment
- Decreased ability to orgasm
- Urge urinary incontinence
- Lichen sclerosus
- Lichen planus
- Postpartum fecal incontinence
- Chronic pain from trauma from childbirth (episiotomy scars)
- Chronic pain from mesh
- Chronic interstitial cystitis
During your confidential O-Shot consultation, Dr. Deepti will review your medical and cosmetic history and examine you physically. She makes herself available to answer all your questions in detail so you are educated, empowered and well-informed about every aspect of the procedure before making your final decision to move forward.
Women who experience decreased sensation, stress incontinence or vaginal discomfort may benefit greatly from our Incontinence Therapies techniques. Our approach is customized and multifaceted, tailored exclusively to your body and your personal goals for your Lifestyle enrichment. We ask that all patients are of sound mind and body, and that they are realistic in their goals but also their expectation when seeking improvements.